Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Collection

It just does not get better than the idea of "poop studies" as the "motherlode" of information in archaeology. (Ask an archaeologist!)

The Caustic Cover Critic has a great look at The Clothing of Books, which sounds as fascinating and somewhat frustrating as he describes. It makes you wish you could see this author speak on the topic that gave rise to the book itself, which is how covers are the wardrobe of a book.

Lahiri's talk begins from her own experiences as the child of immigrants, always dressed incorrectly in clothes that are durable but out of fashion, marking her out as an Indian amongst Americans.

Fellow Reider Donna Everhart's debut, The Education of Dixie Dupree, has found its way into my hands (can I just say: deckled edges ... you had me at deckled), but I have not had time of late to crack into it. Everyone has splendid praise for it, but either it's a busy season for me or I am savoring the anticipation for a while. I like to say it is the latter! Alla y'all will be done and feeling Bittersweet, longing for more, by the time I settle down on a long winter's day with an afghan and a Gossamer the Editor Cat, to enjoy it on my own.

Popularizing science and scholarship in the news is a blessing and a curse. While it can dumb-down or over-promise studies and breakthroughs to the lowest (read: most exciting) terms, journalistic coverage of historical study, archaeology, medicine, and other gee-whiz science serves the very real purpose of providing hope and inspiration to those suffering pain, ignorance, or fear and to those who may in turn bring innovations of their own into the world. Here is a great slice-of-life look at one such story - the supposed 14th-century caesarean ... or not - and its journalistic and intellectual implications. (Found by way of The History Blog's perhaps less critical look a the story, where the comments are worth reading.)

3 comments:

Donnaeve said...

Thank you for the shout out Diane! LynnRodz has been waiting ages now (according to her) waiting, just like you, to read it during the holidays. Of course I'll be anxiously awaiting your opinion.

Should I get busy locating that brown paper bag I was looking for when Colin said he'd posted his review? (breathe, breathe, breathe)

Donnaeve said...

Notice all that waiting in there. Of course I only spot it after I hit publish. And I could trash my comment - but that's what this biz is all about, right? As we just discussed this week! The Waiting. There is always, The Waiting. No matter where you are in the process.

DLM said...

I would have assumed you were using the rhythm of repetition to poetic effect, such is the magic of your prose my bestselling friend.

How on Earth, by the way, did we get to DECEMBER? Of 2016???

*Waiting for 2017*

Also waiting for Godot?