Monday, July 22, 2013

Merovingian Heresies, Divine Descent, “What’s In A Grail?” and the Inspirations That Don’t Come to Fruition

Nyki Blatchley has a great post about all of the above, the Merovingian bit of which sets me to thinking, inevitably, about my own work and some of the more fringe people I might expect to meet once it gets out there.  The Heresy I have discussed before, but the origin of the Franks themselves I should perhaps get into further than the excerpt from Liber Historiae Francorum here.  He's got some good takes on some of the interpretations of what The Holy Grail "means" - both literally, and to us, as readers.

Nyki's experience is a useful illumination of how we come to retire certain stories, and why they can still be interesting even if not viable.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Oh, writing about the Merovingians and the Carolingians does call some "fringies" out of the brush. After you get that novel out in the world, we'll undoubtedly have some stories to swap--offline!

(There's a very old theory that Native American earthworks in the U.S. were actually built by medieval Welshmen. As silly as it sounds, the notion flickers but is never fully extinguished.)

DLM said...

Seems to me I might have run across the Welshman one somewhere!

Have you seen the documentary "Bloodline" (available on Netflix streaming)? Oh my, heaps of good fun ... http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/2013/05/bloodline.html