Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Don't They, Um - AUDIT ... ?


I work for an entity pretty serious about its expenditures and internal audits, so when a coworker sent me this yesterday, I was something like morbidly fascinated.  Not least because:  the IRS, for goodness sake????

From personal experience, I’m aware of the extent of oversight on EVERY expenditure we make, and so the extent of this woman’s profligacy is astonishing.  Where I work, we can’t even make certain types of purchases from otherwise approved vendors (it is acceptable to purchase training books from Big Online Retailer We All Know, but if we buy electronics there because they’re not on our supply-catalogue contract, there is an inquiry).  If we buy a lamp or a cheap wall clock without going through a facilities procurement process, there are consequences.

It all makes for a lot of PROCESS (and, heaven help us, “PROSSA-seez” when there’s more than one), but we don’t see a lot of admins buying jammies, makeup, and candy/sno-cone makers.  Holy Hell – and over $8500, yet.  If I bought a $5 lunch at our own cafĂ© and accidentally used the wrong card, I’d get a ton of bricks on my head and feel it was only justified.  I owe the entire public the responsibility of good stewardship with this responsibility, and I take it very seriously.  The idea of buying ANYTHING for myself goes right beyond inconceivable into immediate self-punishment.  And so I share in the public pillorying of this Haughty and Naughty mascara-wearing horse’s hole, because:  SERIOUSLY, woman.  Chocolate.  Fountain.  And bankruptcy.

There is a saying at my place of employment:  “You don’t get rich working here.”  I have a saying of my own:  “We don’t get poor either.”

And we HAVE JOBS.  That, too, is a responsibility – and, these days, in this economy – you’d better believe there are HONEST people eager to have the ones idiots such as Yetunde Oseni treats so cavalierly.

2 comments:

Mo said...

OK, a gummint employee did the wrong thing.

Of course, this sub-$10,000 caper came to light. Mostly because it happened in a government office. Despite what the tea partiers would have us believe, the entities most subject to oversight, accountability, and discipline are in the public sector. Regulations and laws tend to affect government first, and then, maybe, the rest of the economy.

The corporate guy who made off with an order of magnitude more? Not even in the news.

DLM said...

A good point and I thank you for making it. I still can't get over Jamie Dimon's continuing success - and he's just ONE.

But the post was from my personal perspective - the astounding ludicrousness of certain crime just floors me. Granddaddy used to say, if you're going to rob a bank, rob it big. So I see crap like chocolate fountains and just can't even comprehend - the greed NOR the pettiness.