Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day of the Dead Horse

If it were not for the wee beasties in my life, I would not laugh even a quarter as often as I get to.  Penelope's fairly stressful introduction period has reached a much smoother spot (though she still does wee a bit when certain people come in the house ...), and she and Gossamer have come to several working understandings.  If I ever shoo them into laying off each other, it's probably more about me at this point than either of them (okay, the kitten) having real distress.  I have a little fun from time to time piping up with "Pen, stop biting the cat's butt" or "Please stop eating the cat" or, an obscure favorite, "Touch not the cat" (which is the title of a novel written by Mary Stewart, who wrote my much-beloved Arthurian novels - no, it is not one of the Arthurian novels).

Laughter is good right now - after a slump at work, the holidays, a week's illness, and not the re-influx of all the people who took off over Christmas and/or New Year's, I've been very positively productive - and seriously busy.  One of the things about working with a team who aren't all sitting around in one big cube farm:  sometimes the day is just getting started at my 5:00 p.m.  Last night, I kept going until 6:15, and it's hard not to be glad this comes at this point, rather than when Pen-Pen was still so insecure a bit of OT might really have set her back.  As it was, I got home last night and she was okay, but somewhat higher strung than usual.  But it was the cat who fell in the toilet bowl.

*Hilarity ensues*

Today was the kind of day at the office where I got four expense reports set up in the morning, published our most recently updated org charts, was able to semi-competently make my way through most calls and questions, and more than once things which should have taken a minute dragged on rather, because deeply, DEEPLY helpful people are slightly like puppies with bones.  As inefficiencies go, though, I'll be happy to admit those are preferable over the sort that make me want to *punch* puppies.

(I never punch puppies, least of all my own, who was not harmed in the writing of this post.)

No comments: