Saturday, September 1, 2012

Enterprising

As the living room progresses, I've finally restarted the series "Enterprise" again.  It's funny - this series clearly has great production values, and I remember liking it, but I have almost no memory of it really.  I'm having to reacquaint myself with the characters, and recall little of the storylines.

It's fantastic looking - in some of the light feedback and the more dynamic camera positioning, it actually looks something like Abrams' Trek.  Apart from T'Pol's insufferable lip pooch, it's a very fine looking show, and the design is just too cool.  Even the opening credits - almost  un-listenable thanks to Diane Warren, are visually perhaps the best of all the series.  They used technological sophistication, on "Enterprise", to come up with good solutions to plot eventualities, and to create a more practical feel to the series as a whole than any of the others achieved.  Yeah, and it's neato-whiz-bang eye candy.

Of course, I'll be interested to re-watch the women on this series.  So far, T'Pol is still little more than Seven of Nine redux, and Hoshi is somewhat the Dainty Female Supporting Role, but there is room for hope.

I have a lot of goodwill for Bakula, and liked him as I recall; certainly, a dog-lover can't fault the presence of the adorable Porthos the Beagle on a starship.  He never barks (not *entirely* realistic, this cool-looking series! heh), but he has a bigger role than Data's cat, Spot, ever got, and he works it.  Nice little boy.



Edited to add this:  turns out, that un-listenable theme song supposedly "polarized" fans.  I can only assume this is a new usage of this word, meaning unanimous disgust, rather than my previous understanding of the term polarized as causing some to feel one way and others to feel another.  If there has ever been so much as one single Trek fan who liked that song (my ex boyfriend from before Mr. X does not count in any way whatsoever - no man at all should *like* Diane Warren for gosh sakes), I certainly have never heard of them.

And the ultimate indictment of this theme song?  It was originally meant to be the theme song for "Patch Adams" (one of the most execrably manipulative Robin Williams vehicles, which is saying something profound).  And it was originally meant to be sung by Rod Stewart.  I rest my case as regards this Warrenalia.  Ugh.

No comments: