Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Back to Work

Having been out of my office for two days, I was of course duly punished by my inbox, but though it put me to an hour and a half OT today, the smack on my hands was not too dire.  At least, in terms of consequences for my *team*.  There was a pretty spectacular fire drill late in the morning, which thank heavens (a) came up 24 hours in advance of a point where it would simply have been a disaster, and (b) worked out (did I mention thank heavens?).  Shew.  But for the most part, surprisingly, I  dug through a lot of work in decent time during the first half of the day.

I caught up some dropped travel which fell through the cracks of my being gone and our Travel Goddess being gone, but without ugliness.  Caught calendars up, had a pointless meeting, responded, responded, resolved, got on top, and got ready.  For that fire drill-inducing event (coming tomorrow), I got some final prep in good shape, not least of which was that (b) part mentioned above.  Never took lunch, but I was savvy enough to order pizza yesterday, so I had leftovers, and had a piece for breakfast, a piece a few hours after that, a piece for a later lunch/snack as well.

Parceling the slices out between parceling out the accomplishments, I parceled in some of my little at-the-desk calesthenics, and managed to both clear my inbox VERY nicely, but even the outbox as well, and (astoundingly) my hard copy "work in progress" file.  For a while there, the remainder was just filing, which is almost endearingly quaint of me to even indulge in 2012 - but I like being endearingly quaint, of course.

Speaking of which, one of my bosses sent me a package last week (a good admin would have had it in my hands on-the-day, hah) for Admin's day.  Being a good sort, he worked hard to find a card that said something about a wonderful SECRETARY instead of an admin, and I grinned, because I knew he'd done that on purpose.  Per my suspicions on that point, he did mention finding one that said "secretary" on it wasn't easy.  Heh.  Stupid Hallmark.

By early afternoon, realizing I wasn't so much fighting uphill as really just having a decent day's work of it.  AND enjoying some nice cold pizza (and laughing because my dad would just cringe - he always winced and said "don't you want to heat that up?" when we were kids ...).

Of course, it did not last - though my afternoon did, until about quarter after six.  Ah well.  In at seven a.m., worked through lunch - shoot, it was a 12-hour day.  And tomorrow, I expect will be a bear, with a major event I am pretty much singlehandedly responsible for cruise directing.

If I can get through tomorrow, things will look good for the rest of this week ...

No comments: