Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Riddle or A Bet

There's a genre of philosophical posers, such as "What if ... we're all tiny tiny creatures, living on a speck of dust, inside someone else's freshman dorm room ... ?" and "Would you rather marry a woman you knew to be faithful, but all the world thought she was a whore - or marry a woman everyone honors as virtuous, though you know she is not true to you?"

For the most part, I can't really engage with stuff like this.

But sometimes ... I do chuckle rather dryly to myself (aridly ... positively sere) and think I live in my own answer to such a riddle.  "Would you rather be without a love more perfect for you than you would ever have dared ask ... ?"

Or.

Yeah, that's where I start the dry laugh.  Or be *with* - what?  Meh.  No way.



Erick has enough guilt over the distance between us he's wished in the past he could erase himself from my experience.  Even apart from the hideous usurpation of autonomy that represents to me philosophically - it's flawed remediation at its base.  He wonders whether I could have had a "better" life without him.

He simply can't believe that my life is more joyous that I could have ever prayed, since meeting him.  Yeah, I'm deprived of things it's not as if I don't complain about.  But what I would have been deprived of otherwise ...

No bet in the world, no stake, could ever make me take that wager.  There is no "better" than The Best.

No comments: