Friday, October 7, 2011

On TOPIC

Okay, and so the Conference began (for me) today (there actually were some bonus sessions yesterday too), and this is always a major focus for me every year.  This year is my seventh, and by now I know a lot of the Board members (old and new), and even have begun to know many of our partners and guests.

  • Michelle Brower, a wildly intelligent, funny, and wonderful agent every writer can dream of impressing, came back for a second year in a row - and she can enjoy at least the infinitessimal relief of ONE attendee not pitching at her this year; last year I got to her, she graciously took my query even though she doesn't do histfic, and was such a brilliant part of the Con I can't complain that she didn't sign me on.
  • Kirk Ellis is back, too, which for me is a special bonus not strictly because he does histfic, but centrally because he too is inspiringly smart.
  • Jeff Sypeck is one I want to nab in the hallways at some point; he's Karl der Grösse, while I'm Chlodowechus - and, hey, three centuries' division between one ancient monarch and another isn't all that much given "The Dark Ages" and all ...  Seems like a nice guy, from the panel I attended today, which seems to be a contagion with JRW.  Heh.
  • The utterly delightful Meg Medina, who interviewed me about my Conference experience - I'll link the vid if it is ever made public (a risk indeed, if JRW allows it).
  • Mike Albo, who brought us a nice, short burst of humor and energy to start off the Really Big Show, and who was extremely enjoyable to talk to after lunch as well.
  • And my FABULOUS, talented, adored Sarcastic Broads of course!



***


Seven years ago, my brother asked me to go with him to some conference, and the education and inspiration of just that first attendance actually caused me to write my first novel.  It's given me a good sense of both the job and the professional comportment one needs to cultivate, whether going the traditional route like me, or striking out into newer technological publishing and marketing options.  Every year, it reinvigorates me and inspires me - and the thing is just a pleasure in itself.  Attendees (and I include both us paying types as well as speakers, volunteers, and board members and planners; because at JRW's events, there really doesn't feel like there is a divide between any of the participants) are a fascinating and friendly lot, and it's a nice, different, and fruitful social and creative experience.  The support is second to none, and the networking isn't half bad either.

I owe that brother of mine a massive debt of gratitude, because something he first wanted has led me into something I never knew how to do - and he is as surely to credit for The Ax and the Vase as I have always said JRW is ... as surely as Louise Smith and those who recycled her name.  He had the tinder box that finally lit the fire under me, and I am grateful - to him, to JRW, and to Clovis himself, for the past few years.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hi, Diane! Glad to have met you this weekend. I'd hoped to catch up with you after "Pitchapalooza," because good grief, that takes bravery, especially going first--but you did a fine job, and you got a positive reaction from the panel of inquisitors, so I'll happily continue to root for the tale of a misunderstood monarch named Clovis...