Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Rs Have It

Maybe it's the process of contemporary querying, but these numbers seem to me more comically low than intimidatingly *high*.  I've queried more agents, both in in-person meetings and in correspondence, than most of these apparent over-a-lifetime sbumissions add up to.  And I am good - with a great story - no question.  I am acquainted with plenty of authors, too - and, these days, as far as I can tell, querying 100 or 200 agents is in no way overdoing it.  The guy who only managed 160 in his lifetime, and is considered the most-rejected author by this list, must have measured the term "rejection" by a different standard than I understand.  Were these rejections from agents, or the post-agenting-process rejections by PUBLISHING houses?

That simply has to be it.  Because the rejections from agents list, as far as I can tell, should never - ever - stop at TWENTY.  Holy smokes, if I'd been agented twenty queries in ... ?  I'd consider myself a veritable wirting goddess of some sort.


***

Also ... not for nothing, but who actually has the luxury to gnash their teeth like this at every rejection?  No, I mean seriously.  Nobody loves it - but is it actually the case that there are people with time for histrionics such as those described here?

I don't know, maybe I am simply not human enough, that I don't consider my work to be inviolable by other people's opinions.  It's bewilderng to consider a mindset that affords rejection such a high allowance for reaction.  Sure - there are those who would think my attitude that every R is "one step closer to success" to be insufferably Pollyanna, or unrealistic, or maybe requiring too much sanguinity - but anyone who knows me is aware I am hardly a cockeyed, grinning fool when it comes to my writing (or anything else).  I refuse to let the bastards get me DOWN.  But that doesn't make me a delusional, unable to see the real lack of value in my talents.  I just can't understand expending much energy on non-starters.  There are so many options available to me (*and* to agents) I don't think I can approach this Highlander-style, and decide "there can be only one" ... and cry and wail, when that "one" doesn't like me back ...

2 comments:

Mojourner said...

You are wise to curb your Highlander enthusiasm. Were you raised by a stoic?

Mojourner said...

Agents!

Any among them reading this ought to request your book just based on your obvious ability to WORK! If I were an agent, the worst part of the job might be dealing with whiny self-proclaimed artists who don't know how lucky they are to be represented.