Friday, July 29, 2011

Something A Writer Does

In between all this work I do related to writing, every now and then I actually work creatively - and, you know, *write* things.  Other than this blog.  Yesterday, I enjoyed adding a couple of character descriptions to the WIP.  There is a wonderful difference between the creative effort and the labor (birth entendre intended) of getting a completed story onto the market.  Like pretty much any author, I prefer the former by far.

My career has made the latter - or perhaps has made me - a straighforward job of organizing.  It's well suited to my skills, and I like this sort of work ... yet, of late, I feel I do it constantly.  Through nine hour days, four days a week, I am paid for my professional effort - and then I come home, and spend at least a couple hours every night, lately, doing more of much the same.  This will pay too, of course - but the return is definitely deferred.

There's more than one reason I feel like Jacob, laboring seven years for Laban, only to sign on for more labor to get to what I really want.


Going back to the point of all this - going back to simply creating - is an entertainment for me.  It feels less like "work" to me, by far, than all this time querying has been.  I have as much fun in storytelling as I hope my readers will have in going along for this ride.

No comments: