Thursday, March 3, 2011

Made In - Made Over and Out

I've been enjoying ABC's Made in America series. At a high level, it offers some good inspirations, but it misses some nuance, which could have been addressed in their "partially" made in America angle. The fact is, as much merchandise as is composed of components, the "made in" label is a less clear descriptor than we tend to think. I've worried myself about "made in China" - and I'd still pay good money for shoes made anywhere but that country, seriously - but I realize, too, that in fact some of the electronics made in China actually depend on tech still coming from us. NPR actually did a great piece on this about three weeks ago ...

(F)or every iPod that the United States decides not to import, the "decline" in recorded exports from China is $150 — but only about $4 of that value was added in China. In other words, China's GDP declines just $4 for each lost $150 iPod. Japan, on the other hand, contributes about $100 to the $150 value ...


I've wondered at times whether my buying from domestic *sellers* makes any difference. The only sure bet is buying local, it seems. Only with produce and antiques, the limited kinds of things I know are sold here, from here can I feel partiuclarly "sure" about choices. Hence my evangelical support of Roma Ristorante, Arianna's, the Mediterranean Bakery, my favorite thrift, antique, and secondhand stores, heh. I'm not as good about our farmer's markets as I should be - but it's been on my mind to make some vegetable stew lately, and break in my crock pot - so maybe some time sooon a neighbor and I will do that.

It used to feel like eBay, of all things, allowed for a lot of control on buying retail versus buying from actual humans, but the humans are fewer and fewer - or at least the huge sellers are becoming so ubiquitous it's harder and harder to find the people. Not impossible (I love that fair-trade seller in the Pacific Northwest, from whom I've bought three wonderful little lamps!). But it takes more effort, and I fear not everyone views eBaying, as I often do, as a pastime unto itself.

Sometimes in life, I wish I had a guide. Sometimes, I get so frustrated with that directionlessness I resent the need to research and study just to buy a secondhand dress online because I can't find what I'm looking for at Second Debut, and I want to just buy six Chinese ones for spite at myself and politics and the economy.

But most of the time I just wish I could find a good, and not wildly expensive, pair of basic black leather pumps made in the USA.

No comments: