Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eostre

At this time of year, my wee slew of PBS channels offer lots of nice, juicy programming about the Holy Land, the history of Christianity, European studies of the Church, and Jesus. I love these things; Biblical archaeology, even at its most tenuous, makes such peaceful entertainment. Right now, I'm enjoying "Jerusalem: Center of the World" for nothing even remotely like the first time, and almost glad "Big Bang Theory" got bumped by basketball. Just the silly plinkering harp music is the ticket right now.

There's little about this stuff that engages me spiritually (if anything at all). But it reminds me of when I was little, and the Old Testament was the most fascinating series of stories in the whole world.

Plus, they show so much of that antiquities-montage stuff I enjoy so much, with arts and artifacts punctuated by anachronistic imagery, sometimes recreations (LOVE those), and the most wonderfully incongruous people and professors chosen to be the talking heads. Yummy.

No comments: