Monday, September 13, 2010

Something Completely Different

An observation I'll just be lazy and cut out of an email to E.



Oh WOW is this offensive. I listen to Pandora at work, because Slacker crashes the internet sometimes. This morning, I hit "skip" on a song, and the dynamic ad generator comes up with *this*: A MIDOL AD. "You just skipped a song" ... insert ad for Midol here ...

So skipping a song on an internet radio station ... means a woman must be cranky and PMS'ing????

Okay, NOW I am cranky. Yes. Thank you.



The truth is, it actually takes a significant backhanding to offend the likes of me. I don't have the spare energy to waste on it, basically. Offense is largely alien to my lifestyle.

But man, if that didn't take the biscuit and run.

Wow.

Because Pandora is run on extraordinarily poor algorithms you CANNOT TURN OFF (see also: Slacker is better), I skipped songs multiple times the morning I first saw this egregious offenstrosity - and it cropped back up every single time.

And it is pink.

Because I am a woman, and the only way I will understand that this ad is geared toward me is if they color the d*mned thing pink.


***


Top all this with the fact that the 'dora limits free listening hours to forty per month, and I sure wish my much better Slacker station (which isn't offensive nor riddled with ads, and which allows me to turn OFF their "guessing what you *might* like" algorithms) would play on my work laptop.

Pandora is the allowable station, though, per the management. Even if Slacker were, it just goes boom. *Sigh*

So here we are at the 13th and I have to tune back in on OCTOBER 1 because I've seen one too many Midol commercials.

Man I really could use a Pamprin.

No comments: