Thursday, August 12, 2010

"WORK-Work"

So I've mentioned the writing work. Now to mention the paycheck-inclusive work. The new job I haven't chosen to speak of much to this point; it seems premature to have opinions about a place this soon, and I've learned better over time. Still, it isn't reasonable not to think and compare at all.

It was three months, two days from layoff to new offer. I am ludicrously fortunate, and extremely aware of this. I pray in gratitude every day. Once I started in, came the usual confusion of what-is-what ... how-to-get-to-what ... and the beginnings of in-job networking. I have an acute capacity for finding resources, and the motivation here is impelling.

The motivation here is illuminating, too.

My last position - my last company ... I can't find much reason to whinge and badmouth them. But I have discovered my suspicion in-the-moment was exactly correct ... and I am vindicated in certain ideas. I felt I had taken a pay cut and a demotion - both indisputably true, if you watch the resume - but that the choice had been a strategy. I went to a company legendary for its security, and decided that losing bonuses and three grand in base income was necessary, and would pay off.

We've seen how this panned out. But I stand by my decision; in the end, it has still left me intact and undeterred.

The problem was that, while I believed in that security - and even if it had been genuine - the security was in exactly the job I had. There would be nowhere to go from where I sat. And, over time, and with some advantage of being able to see: I learned that, even if I could have "risen" to an executive admin position ... at this employer, I wouldn't have *wanted* one.

That was the sobering realization. That even if my original hope for advancement had become possible - what was available wasn't appealing to me.

I started looking for a job in the middle of the holidays. I had an interview in January. I applied heavily, and networked extensively. My contacts are peerless (literally - they're not secretaries, my references), and I've never had any fear of using them.

For the Communications job, I stepped up and called up my old buddy the SVP of Communications. I tugged on the sleeves of the VP at the charity I'd worked campaigns with for several years. She took me to lunch, and spoke with me several times. I called recruiter friends-of-friends, and pipes up with my last boss in an executive position. I have ambition, and I'm not afraid to use it.

No WONDER I never fit in with my last employer. This company was unable to comprehend that intelligence and administrative work could be compatible; and never knew what to do with me. I was bored out of my mind. I was not merely left unchallenged: I was forbidden to even try to rise above minimum clerical expectations. Over time, I was left out of staff meetings, told essentially pointblank I talked too much for a (mere) admin. Seriously! That actually got said to me - that I contributed TOO MUCH to group meetings and discussions, and that I wouldn't need to come to staff meetings anymore.

*Please insert stunned, semi-appalled silence here*


***


Okay. So, the new employer is pushing me already. And I am energized to have a job about which I find myself CARING so very much. I'd almost forgotten how that feels.

Not *quite* ... not really, not forgotten. But I had assimilated myself to the situation I had, and for survival ... and contentment ... I somewhat had to smother my ambition. Even my intelligence.

It's a shame for that company - but I was never more fortunate than the day they laid me off. That's the secret of my "attitude", thought to be so amazing, thought to be so good. It was simple math. What I had "lost" was no loss to me.

What I have now ... I am so very thankful for.

Time soon to go say prayers in gratitude. But I had to at least post about work once, early in my tenure ...

No comments: