Thursday, July 22, 2010

Passes

Three new rejections this week remind me that I did indeed put querying on hold for a minute while I got ready for a new job, and now I am almost a full week into said job. Today's pass was from the second request for a partial, so one needs must light the fire once again.

Yesterday's was actually quite nice; I queried Sharon Kay Penman's agency, but they haven't picked up historicals for some time now (except for that one ... by the woman who *worked* for them for eight years!). The agent I contacted, though, was personal and generous, and is also going to be at the upcoming Conference I attend every year. She encouraged me to speak with her, which I appreciated - as much as a professional writer as as a person who prefers niceness over snobbitude.

I went to the Con website and asked them to change my ranking of preferences of agents/editors I'd like to try to get five minutes with to the editor instead.

And the editor's first noted area of focus is historical fiction.

As I thought in that time when I was asking for *more* rejections, so it has come to pass - I'm getting them, and finding it not disappointing but reassuring that at least I'm being seen at all. Not everyone likes my singing, but at least it's audible outside my ears.

Time to find the right audience, though. No more kitchen project; time to get seriously querying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bequeath to you the title "Querying as f**k" Now get to w**k

DLM said...

Yessiree. I'm doing some peeking around at Absolute Write's "water cooler" regarding agents for historical writing, and have a short list of other places I need to search for my genre. So I'm trying to be good.