Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Painting

So the kitchen painting project begun last Friday continues (and continues ... and continues ...). Mom was able to give a couple hours help that day, and did come over for a good haul on Monday, but otherwise the work has been up to me.

The fact that I chose to use white and red slowed progress, as edging two such contrasting colors is of course pretty hard work, but even apart from that part of things (now largely over), the job just keeps multiplying on itself - and projects like this always go so slowly when you're doing them on your own. (Never mind how long it takes for oil paint to DRY. Yikes.)

In any case, the red and white are almost entirely done, and I've moved on to the color burst, the golden yellow color I'm painting the lover cabinets - i.e., the ones which would show the most dirt if I painted them white, and the ones which will thus take the most scrubbing; and which are thus getting oil instead of latex.

The red, white, and gold are really working; I couldn't be happier with the way the reality is bearing out, after long consideration of "what I'd do" if only I could redecorate. Better still, the oil is working with a single coat; I'm certainly delighted with that. Once this part is done, I think the rest will look much easier - and, of course, so much cleaner and more - mid-century! - modern.

Between the sprained ankle, and the wearing the SAME painting clothes for - what - five days on end now (ew, gross), the job is wearing thin. But at least the results are gratifying.

If I can finish the work by tomorrow, I'm definitely celebrating by dressing like a human on Friday, and taking myself out for something fun.

No comments: