Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Working "It"

I've allowed this blog enough of a connection to my real life identity that the original mindset, of writing it in such a way that it could be read by even my nieces without any issue, has evolved a little bit over time. Since I'm looking for a job, I conduct my online life in such a way that any web search for my name won't turn up anything inappropriate: I expect occasional employers to find this, and conduct myself (mostly) accordingly.

It's not a constraint, considering the potential audience here. The page was conceived in the first place as a first foray into public life, as an author using my own name rather than a pen name. (This is as opposed to "foray into fame", which I don't particularly expect to gain much of - but which I'll have more of, once my work is published, than I do now certainly.)

So the content here, if not self-consciously authorial or specifically directed, is at least considered in the sense of overall tone. I'm not afraid for people holding my resume to know I'm a huge nerd, or even to have former coworkers laughing at my passions about mascara. It isn't relevant stuff, nor illuminating in itself, but at least I don't have reason to apologize for any of it. The more philosophical stuff shouldn't prohibit my professional viability - and, if anyone thinks it does, just as well for me not to go work for them. Even the posts about faith and relationships: if I'm okay with the concept of my mom finding my words here, I'm not going to go all pearl-clutchy about anyone else reading it.

I figured going in this would be a backwater, and as far as I'm aware, I still have fewer than a dozen readers. That's fine and dandy, and even if I don't turn the place into a coffee klatch per se, at least I can keep it safe and still maintain a somewhat intimate voice online.

Beyond my small core audience, I know over time things will change. I mean to be welcoming, even maintaining my non-blockbuster expectations, whatever happens in terms of publishing/name value. It's early days yet. Hopefully no days will become regrettable or difficult here. As much as family-transparency, that is the raison d'etre, and I expect it to remain so.

So, yes. I'm aware that when I'm linked on a fellow geek's site I may get some particular sorts of readers. I'm aware that when I throw my name around online, scrabbling for a job, HR people might find me. It affects my posting; that's obvious to the world. But I don't think, so far, that's a detriment to the content. In some ways, it stimulates me to write here in the first place.

And in other ways - important ones - it keeps me honest and aware. Not bad, those two things. For a hopeful job candidate, AND for a writer.

No comments: