Thursday, June 10, 2010

Other People's Nightmares

Try to have a real estate closing, and you will get a story to tell about your particular closing. There's always something - like any major event, like anything we care about or on which much of our invested energy is riding, there'll be some omission, some hitch, some catastrophe, some frustration to the point of outrage.

This is not my story.

Last night, I had a ticket to go see a band I really enjoy. I'd missed them in October, after a day of such portent and event I simply omitted to go to the show, though I'd bought a ticket. Yesterday had been a beautiful day, I'd done my "homework" on the bio, I was in a good mood, I was ready for the show.

Just as I went upstairs, the phone rang (it rarely does this; and what's more, it was my cell - unheard of!). My friend T was in tears, distraught, and she and her wee beasties were homeless.

What do you do? You forget about going out, you tell your friend of course to come over, you'll put the dog out of sight of the homeless kitty, and you put away your dancin' shoes after quickly checking in on the guest room.

You order pizza.

And you vilify the frustrating parties, and coo at the guest pets until they calm down a little, and it's time to go to bed.


Oh - and the nightmare story itself? Well, that is not mine to blabber about. But I will say this much. It's enough to make me want to write love notes to my former in-laws.

No comments: