Friday, June 25, 2010

"And Here's Chet, With the Weather"

102 degrees yesterday - obviously, a record high. It's been so hot this week, I don't even have to mow the grass today. Nothing has grown, and we haven't seen rain worthy of the name in quite a long time now.

Today is breezy, and at 92 - I'm not being facetious here - it feels balmy. Lolly stayed out for hours today, and when she came in, she didn't even fall over panting. Having kept her on a TIMER through this heat, not allowing her out for more than fifteen minutes at a time, she seems quite happy to have sat outside enjoying her camellia shade. She seems quite happy now, sleeping on the tile floor of my office, too. Dear old thing.

I think I want to get out a bit tonight, see some friends, maybe even dance and try to find something to laugh about. Even if the laugh is sardonic or sarcastic. I think it will be a nice night, too, if the breeze stays with us, if the warmth leads to one of those June nights my dad used to call "soft". I used to use those nights to go out with TEO, opening every window in the car, turning up the radio, and singing whatever was on with verve and some irony. "Teenagering", we called it.

I could do with a bit of teenagering right now.

*Sigh*

No comments: